Week 5 Bowl Projections: Miami and TCU earn the majority of votes from media
The 29th Camping World Bowl is still a few months away, but it’s never too early to start predicting which ACC and Big 12 teams might be headed to Orlando.
Here’s a round-up of projections from around the college football media world after Week 5:
Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): Miami vs. Texas
Mitch Sherman (ESPN): Duke vs. TCU
Eric Single (Sports Illustrated): Miami vs. TCU
Jerry Palm (CBS Sports): Miami vs. TCU
Bill Bender (SportingNews): Syracuse vs. TCU
Jason Kirk (SBNation): NC State vs. West Virginia
Brant Parsons (Orlando Sentinel): Miami vs. Oklahoma State
CollegeFootballNews.com: NC State vs. Oklahoma State
Erick Smith (USA Today): Miami vs. TCU
Brett McMurphy (Stadium): Miami vs. TCU
Brad Crawford (247 Sports): Miami vs. TCU
Miami vs. Texas
• The Hurricanes and Longhorns last met in the 1991 Cotton Bowl, a 46-3 Miami victory.
• Before that, the programs met three times previously and have each won two games overall.
• Texas has traveled to Florida for three previous bowl games — the last was the 1974 Gator Bowl — and would be making its debut in the Camping World Bowl.
• Miami is 3-2 in the Camping World Bowl; its last appearance was in 2016 when the Hurricanes beat West Virginia 31-14.
Duke vs. TCU
• There are no previous matchups between these programs.
• This game would be both the first meeting between Duke and TCU and the first Camping World Bowl appearance for both programs.
Miami vs. TCU
• Five of 11 media members polled picked Miami vs. TCU, the most of any one matchup this week.
• Miami is 6-3 all-time against TCU; their first meeting came in 1946, a 20-12 Miami win.
• The programs have not faced each other since the 1992 season, when Miami defeated the Horned Frogs 45-10 at the Orange Bowl.
• Miami (244.7 yards per game) and TCU (303.6) both rank in the Top 15 nationally in total defense, at No. 2 and No. 15, respectively
Syracuse vs. TCU
• The first and only matchup between these programs came in the 1957 Cotton Bowl, when TCU defeated the Orange 28-27.
• Syracuse has appeared in one previous Camping World Bowl, a 51-14 to Georgia Tech in the then-Champs Sports Bowl in 2004.
• Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey, who has been averaging 202.6 passing yards per game, would be up against a TCU defense that has been holding opponents to 178 passing yards per game.
Miami vs. Oklahoma State
• The Cowboys and Hurricanes have only met once in 1991 – the Hurricanes won the game 40-3.
• This would be Oklahoma State’s second — and second consecutive — appearance in our bowl
• Miami is currently ranked No. 2 in the nation in total defense (244.7 yards per game) while Oklahoma State is No. 6 in total offense (545 yards per game).
NC State vs. West Virginia
• This would be a rematch of our 2010 game, which saw a Russell Wilson-led NC State team top West Virginia, 23-7.
• The Wolfpack and Mountaineers were scheduled to play on Sept. 15, but the game was canceled due to Hurricane Florence.
• The all-time series between the teams is tied 5-5; NC State has won past three meetings (2010, 1979, 1978) and the Mountaineers’ last victory in the series came in the 1975 Peach Bowl.
• NC State is tied with Miami for the most appearances in Camping World Bowl history with five; West Virginia is second with four.
• This game would feature two of the top quarterbacks in the nation; Ryan Finley of NC State is ranked sixth among FBS players in passing yards per game with 328.3, while Will Grier of West Virginia is second at 371.8
NC State vs. Oklahoma State
• These two programs have never squared off on the gridiron.
• Both teams feature offenses that are dominant through the air this season; NC State has the No. 9 passing offense in the nation with 342.3 yards per game and Oklahoma State is No. 17 at 314 yards per game.