Week 4 Bowl Projections: Nine experts project nine different matchups
The 29th Camping World Bowl is still a few months away, but it’s never too early to start predicting which ACC and Big 12 teams might be headed to Orlando.
Here’s a round-up of projections from around the college football media world after Week 4:
Mitch Sherman (ESPN): Boston College vs. Texas
Kyle Bonagura (ESPN): Miami vs. Oklahoma State
Eric Single (Sports Illustrated): Miami vs. Texas Tech
Jason Kirk (SBNation): NC State vs. West Virginia
Jerry Palm (CBS Sports): Virginia Tech vs. TCU
Brant Parsons (Orlando Sentinel): Miami vs. Texas
CollegeFootballNews.com: Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma State
247 Sports: Duke vs. West Virginia
Brett McMurphy (Stadium): Miami vs. TCU
Boston College vs. Texas
- The Longhorns and the Eagles have met three times, all between 1974-77; in the most recent meeting, in 1977, Texas defeated Boston College 44-0 in Austin.
- The teams split two meetings in Chestnut Hill, with Boston College winning 14-13 in 1976 and Texas winning 42-19 in 1974.
- Boston College is 2-0 in Camping World Bowl appearances; the Eagles defeated Michigan State 24-21 in the then-Champs Sports Bowl in 2007 and beat Virginia 21-13 in 1994, when the game was played in Miami and was known as the Carquest Bowl.
- Texas has traveled to Florida for three previous bowl games — the last was the 1974 Gator Bowl — and would be making its debut in the Camping World Bowl.
Miami vs. Oklahoma State
- The Cowboys and Hurricanes have only met once in 1991 – the Hurricanes won the game 40-3.
- Miami has played in the Camping World Bowl five times, tied with NC State for the most appearances in game history.
- This would be Oklahoma State’s second appearance in our bowl; the ‘Pokes also played in last year’s Camping World Bowl
Miami vs. Texas Tech
- Texas Tech has only appeared in the Camping World Bowl once, defeating Clemson 55-15 in the 2002, when the game was known as the Mazda Tangerine Bowl.
- The Red Raiders and Hurricanes have not squared off since 1990, when Miami defeated Texas Tech 45-10 in Lubbock.
- The Hurricanes lead the all-time series 4-1, and have won the past three matchups.
NC State vs. West Virginia
- This would be a rematch of our 2010 game, which saw a Russell Wilson-led NC State team top West Virginia, 23-7.
- NC State and West Virginia had a scheduled Sept. 15 matchup canceled due to Hurricane Florence.
- The all-time series between the schools is tied 5-5; NC State has won past three meetings (2010, 1979, 1978).
- The Mountaineers’ last victory in the series came in 1975 Peach Bowl.
- NC State holds record for most appearances in Camping World Bowl history with five; West Virginia is second with four.
Virginia Tech vs. TCU
- This would be the first meeting between the programs.
- Virginia Tech made its second Camping World Bowl appearance last season; the Hokies lost to Oklahoma State 30-21.
- The Hokies’ first Camping World Bowl appearance was a 13-10 win over Rutgers in 2012 — the only overtime game in the bowl’s history.
- This would not only be TCU’s first appearance in the Camping World Bowl, but the program’s first appearance in a bowl game in the state of Florida since they lost to Georgia 40-26 in the 1942 Orange Bowl.
Miami vs. Texas
- The Hurricanes and Longhorns have not played since the two teams faced off in the 1991 Cotton Bowl, where Miami defeated Texas 46-3.
- Before that, the programs have met three times previously (1972, 1973 and 1981), with Texas claiming the ’72 and ’81 games in Austin and Miami winning at home in ’73.
Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma State
- This matchup would be the first between the Irish and the Cowboys.
- It would also be a matchup of the winners of last year’s Citrus Bowl (Notre Dame) and Camping World Bowl (Oklahoma State)
- The Fighting Irish have appeared in the Camping World Bowl one time before – an 18-14 loss to Florida State in 2011.
- Oklahoma State also appeared in the 1976 Tangerine Bowl (now the Citrus Bowl), and defeated BYU 49-21.
Duke vs. West Virginia
- Duke and West Virginia have not met since 1985, when the Mountaineers defeated the Blue Devils 20-18 in Morgantown.
- Duke defeated West Virginia in 1966, 1970 and 1971.
- West Virginia is winless in four previous Camping World Bowl appearances, including two losses before the game relocated from Miami to Orlando.
Miami vs. TCU
- Miami and TCU have not met since 1992, when the Hurricanes defeated the Horned Frogs 45-10 in South Florida.
- Miami leads the all-time series between the two programs 6-3.