Unit Breakdown: Virginia Tech Offense
[vc_row][vc_column width=”5/6″ offset=”vc_col-lg-offset-1″][vc_column_text]
Here’s a look at the Hokies offense, which has struggled at times in 2012.
- 71st Total Offense
- 78th Scoring Offense
- 61st Passing Offense
- 64th Rushing Offense
Atlantic Coast Conference Rankings:
- 9th Total Offense
- 8th Scoring Offense
- 9th Passing Offense
- 5th Rushing Offense
Virginia Tech relied heavily on their defense this year, as the offense was 80th in the country in points per game. They have a primarily young offensive core with 27 freshmen.
- 37 touchdowns
- 1893 rushing yards
- 2809 passing yards
- 4702 total offense yards
Players to watch for:
- QB Logan Thomas (JR)- Ranked 85th nationally in pass efficiency and eighth in the ACC. His 17 passing TD’s are tied for sixth in the ACC. He is fourth in the ACC in scoring with 160 points combined between rushing and passing. On the ground, he’s 16th in the ACC in rushing and the team leader for rushing yards.
- RB J.C. Coleman (FR)- His 486 yards is good for 21st in the ACC. He is fourth among freshmen running backs. Coleman is also a special teams threat, averaging just less than 22 yards per kickoff return.
- WR Marcus Davis (SR)- He is 17th in the ACC in receptions per game and eighth in receiving yards per game. He’s the team’s leading receiver by far and Thomas’ primary target.
- Running Offense: Virginia Tech has the 5th ranked rushing offense in the ACC and will face off against Rutgers’ 2nd ranked rush defense in the Big East. The Hokies average 150 rushing yards per game but the Scarlet Knights only allow 100 yards per game. If J.C. Coleman can break a few tackles and play lights out, the Hokies might be able to exploit the Rutgers rushing defense.
- Passing Offense: Logan Thomas needs to be on his A-game as he faces off against a Rutgers defense that has intercepted 12 passes. However Logan averages 223 yards a game and the Rutgers defense gives up 216 yards in the air per game. If Logan can avoid interceptions, he can have a phenomenal passing game.